Classes for foster and adoptive parents and caregivers. Trauma training for professionals.
Parent Education Services
Classes are specifically designed to address emotional, behavioral, and relational difficulties caused by early trauma in an honest environment that supports and encourages. The focus is not on controlling behaviors, but partnering with parents to understand their children and help improve the quality of their family life. Parent education services are provided by Developmental Trauma Center instructors, specifically trained in the Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics (NMT).
Educational Opportunities for Foster and Adoptive Parents
- Each session counts as training toward foster care licensure requirements and adoption approval. Sessions are provided at low or no cost to all foster and adoptive parents.
- Registration is required. View the events calendar and browse scheduled sessions.
Nurturing Parenting Programs
- Nurturing Parenting Programs are a family-centered initiative for the prevention and treatment of child abuse and neglect by building nurturing parenting skills as an alternative to harsh disciplinary practices.
- Goals include increasing parents’ sense of self-worth and empathy while enhancing their knowledge of age-appropriate developmental expectations.
- FamilyForward has the distinction of being recognized as the Family Nurturing Center of Missouri and works to expand the use of the Nurturing Parenting Programs, promoting the wellbeing of individuals, families, and the community.
Trauma Training for Professionals
- Parents and other adults who work with children with trauma histories can be a catalyst for healing progress when they are knowledgeable and trauma-informed within the context of a nurturing relationship.
- FamilyForward provides psychoeducation for professionals working in school districts, child welfare agencies, and the legal field.